Monday, May 17, 2010

Jaden Smith

Welcome to the fifth installment of my internet sensation, Joe's Study of Natural Selection. For any first timers, this is looking at survival of the fittest and why these superior beings are still alive and kicking it on our big blue planet earth.

* * *

1998. What happened twelve years ago? Steven Spielberg won best director at the Academy Awards for Saving Private Ryan. Bill Clinton was President. Goo Goo Dolls were at the top of the music charts. And the year the recipient of this Natural Selection was born.

I know, I know. You don’t need to say it. How can you do a study on a child? What has he been through that he should be allowed to be included with entertainers at the caliber of Freddy Prinze, Jr., I.C.P., Lauren Conrad and Chad Kroeger? Well, I’ll tell you and I assure, little Jaden Smith belongs on this blog as much as any of the previous selections.

Jaden Smith (little Jade-man) started acting because of his mom and dad, Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith. I don’t necessarily mean inspired either. He is in the movie business because his parents are very talented and famous. They can do anything they want! So basically, the bare bones, is little Jade-man has some very nice connections. That’s how life works for everyone. That’s how I got my high paying job! Thanks Eric! ALTHOUGH, Jaden Smith has some acting chops. He proved this by wowing critics and audiences alike with his performance in The Pursuit of HappYness. Now I don’t want to yammer on about things I don’t know anything about (I never did see The Pursuit of HappYness), but I did see the theatrical trailer a few times. DAMN! ACTING! Some people would say Will Smith carried the whole movie and little Jade-man was just along for the ride. I would have to disagree. I often like to gloat about how I saw the trailer for The Last King of Scotland (never saw the movie) and I correctly predicted an Oscar win for Forest Whitaker. So I sort of know what I’m talking about here. Little Jade-man has gone on to co-star in The Day the Earth Stood Still with Keanu Reeves. I did watch that one! And moving on, he’ll be starring in The Karate Kid this summer with Jackie Chan.

Yes, impressive filmography, but why is he better than the dead? First of all, he is a child. This means that he has a weaker immune system than strong men such as Nicolas Cage and myself. Long days on the set should cripple this boy, but he’s pumping on. I must admit that he is the spawn of Will Smith (star of Bad Boys and Bad Boys II) so he does have a step up on Haley Joel Osment, Jake Lloyd and Jonathan Lipnicki. But little Jade-man continues to make movies and look good doing it.

The other reason he belongs in my study is his career choices. The original Day the Earth Stood Still came out in 1951 and would be classified as a cult classic. This film has fan boyz. The Karate Kid came out in 1984 and again is a frequently quoted movie with a mass following. I’ve got to admit that I’m surprised with the lack of an assassination attempt on little Jade-man. Would-be assassins should be attempting to halt production with a murder attempt. Same thing with Jackie Earle Haley. He’s still here! I think it’s the talent. Angry fan boyz see the movies and are instantly blown away by the quality of acting. Well done, little Jade-man.

Now for a quick word of wisdom from our youth:

“I’m going to buy my parents’ house…I’m going to give them a little apartment.”

Way to thank your connections little Jade-man.

No comments:

Post a Comment